In Reception we develop the children’s maths skills to help them achieve their Early Learning Goals. We lay the foundations for the children to develop their calculation skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. This means they then have the skills that they need to access their maths learning when they move into year one and start the National Curriculum. We use supporting resources from White Rose, along with the children’s interests, to ensure that they are receiving a range of challenges and activities to suit their individual needs.
We value the importance of play at Sneyd Academy and use this to support mathematical development and learning. The children are surrounded by a mathematically rich environment so that learning is fun and continuous.
By the end of Reception, we expect that the children can
- Count reliably using numbers to 20. This includes ordering and saying which number is 1 more or 1 less than a given number.
- Using practical materials and resources children can add and subtract two single digit numbers.
- Solve problems involving doubling, halving and sharing.
- Use everyday language to talk about weight, size, capacity, position, distance, time and money.
- Recognise, describe and make simple patterns.
- Explore the characteristics of everyday objects and use mathematical language to describe them.